Menopausal women are the fastest growing demographic in the workplace. We can expect that up to 47% of the UK workforce will experience Menopause during their working lives. There are so many reasons why a Business should look to support its female employees who are at this stage of their lives.
These reasons include:
- Increasing retention of staff who may look to leave their jobs if symptoms become difficult to manage
- Reducing sick leave and presenteeism
- Improving performance and motivation
- Increasing engagement
- Reducing employee related HR issues
Three out of every four women experience symptoms, and for one of those three the symptoms will be severe and debilitating. So, although menopause is a natural stage of life, and not an illness, it can cause issues.
Symptoms of Menopause can impact certain skills and abilities such as:
- Time Management
- Emotional resilience
- Ability to complete tasks effectively
- Self confidence
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to concentrate
So, what can employers do to become Menopause friendly? Things to consider include:
- Awareness raising
- Training for key stakeholders
- Having a Menopause ‘Champion’
- Providing information about coping with menopause at work
- Ensuring better control over temperature and ventilation
- Better access to informal sources of support, such as women’s networks or Talk shops
- Increased flexibility of working hours and working arrangements
- Ensuring that policies relating to sickness absence, flexible working and Health and Wellbeing include Menopause
- Environmental changes
- Reduction of workload
- Capacity to rearrange formal meetings or presentations
- Allowing breaks where needed
Research has shown that the Menopause is still treated as a ‘Taboo’ subject in many workplaces and more needs to be done to support women at this stage of life. However, the changes that need to happen can be quite simple and inexpensive. Often a raised awareness of the subject, and an opportunity for women to access both formal and informal sources of support, can in themselves make a huge difference. A ‘Menopause friendly’ business will retain happy staff who feel supported and acknowledged, and who in return will continue to feel committed to, and engaged with, their work role.
Menopause and Me! can help with your move to become Menopause friendly. We offer a free survey to look at your baseline position with Menopause. We can then work with you to provide a ‘Managing Menopause in your workforce’ workshop, and a Talk shop to give individual women an opportunity to talk openly about the Menopause, share ideas and gain support. Do please contact us if you’d like to discuss this further. We look forward to hearing from you.